KEN SCHMIDT / MAUI / STONE KONA COFFEE, MACADAMIA, COCONUT PORTER
Truly a collaborative beer, I want to thank everyone who went above and beyond to help:
- Our Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens overnight team for toasting 1,000 lbs. of coconut to a perfect golden brown. You all rock!
- Our Stone Brew Crew, especially Tom, Kevin, Chris and Sean, for all the last minute ingredient preparation (grinding, bagging, and placement in whirlpool)—700 lbs. of coconut, macadamia nuts and coffee, wow!
- The Brew Crew team members that helped filter the beer and add the final ingredients. I’m not sure yet who they will be as I write this, but I know they’ll do an amazing job!
- Mark at MnM Nuthouse, Jim Wayman and his team at Hawaii Coffee Co., and Paradise Traders.
- Bill Benzel and Greg Lum for helping us on brew day.
- Garrett Marrero of Maui Brewing Co. for his help and advice regarding brewing with coconut.
- Ken Schmidt for his efforts in getting the macadamia nuts and Kona coffee, and for brewing such an awesome, award-winning homebrew that was the inspiration and basis for this beer.
- Ken and Garrett: Thank you both! It was a pleasure and an honor to brew this beer with both of you.
...on to the Pro-Am Competition at the 2009 GABF!
Mitch Steele, Head Brewer
Stone Brewing Co.