Stone Brewing has come a long way since opening in 1996. We have grown from a small microbrewery into one of the largest craft breweries in the United States, employing more than 1,100 amazing women and men. From the beginning, our goal has been to brew outstanding, unique beers while maintaining an unwavering commitment to sustainability, business ethics, and the art of brewing.
We are proud that over the years we have grown without compromising our commitment to business ethics. In an industry known for its vigorous—and at times unseemly—competition, we have embraced collaboration, integrity and quality as the hallmarks of our business.
We pride ourselves on being an asset to our region; as such, our community and philanthropic efforts far exceed what can be presented here. We believe that building a strong business means being a vital component of the economic, social, and environmental life of the community.
- Stone Brewing was founded in 1996 by Greg Koch and Steve Wagner in San Marcos, CA. (In the spot where our friends at Port Brewing/The Lost Abbey now call home!)
- First keg of Stone Pale Ale sold on July 26, 1996, to Vince Marsaglia of Pizza Port fame
- Arrogant Bastard Ale unleashed upon the world November 7, 1997
- Moved to our current facility in Escondido, CA, in December 2005
- Opened the adjacent Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens in November 2006
- In December 2009, we published a formal Request For Proposal to evaluate potential sites for a brewery in Europe
- September 2011 - The Craft of Stone Brewing Co.: Liquid Lore, Epic Recipes, and Unbashed Arrogance is released
- In May 2013, our second farm-to-table restaurant, Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens - Liberty Station, opens for service
- Stone Brewing at Terminal 2 opens in fall 2013 for travelers visiting San Diego International Airport
- In July 2014, we announced plans to be the 1st American craft brewer to independently build, own & operate a brewery in Europe with Stone Brewing - Berlin
- In October 2014, we announced plans to open a production brewery, packaging hall, destination restaurant, retail store and administrative offices in Richmond, Virginia
- The first Berlin-brewed beers were released and simultaneously tapped at more than 40 locations throughout Europe on December 7, 2015
- In summer 2016, Stone beers began flowing from our Richmond, VA and Berlin, Germany brewing locations
Greg Koch, Executive Chairman and Co-Founder
Steve Wagner, President & Co-founder
Maria Stipp, CEO
- “Inc. 500 | 5000 Fastest-Growing Private Companies” list for twelve years (2016)
- San Diego Business Journal's "Top 100 Fastest Growing Private Companies" twelve years in a row (2004-2015)
- Averaging 40% year-over-year annual growth since day one
- Currently distributed to 47 states (plus D.C. and Puerto Rico), and some of our beer is exported internationally
- 9th largest craft brewery in the United States (2018)
- 55,000 square feet
- Two 120-bbl brewing systems built by Rolec in Bavaria, Germany
- 60,000-square-foot Stone Packaging Hall, which encompasses our bottling and kegging lines
- Located in Escondido, CA - adjacent to our main production brewery
- 8,500 square feet
- 1-acre garden
- Seating capacity of 425
- 36 craft & specialty beers on tap, plus 100+ bottle selections
- Extensive wine list
- Hosts special beer pairing dinners and annual beer festivals such as Stone Sour Fest and Stone DRK Festival
- Located in the Point Loma neighborhood of San Diego
- 55,000 square feet, including indoor and outdoor areas
- Two bocce ball courts, a movie courtyard, expansive garden patio, private banquet rooms and Stone Company Store - Liberty Station
- 30,000 square foot garden area seats up to 200 people
- Seating capacity of 800+
- 40 craft & specialty beers on tap, plus 100+ bottle selections
- Extensive wine list, including wine on draft
- Jeff Stanko (Executive Chef)
- 10-barrel brewing system for developing limited, one-off releases, led by Brewing Manager Kris Ketcham
- Located in the historic Borreo Building, built in 1877 and renovated by us in 2018.
- Seating for 250+ people with standing room for 400+.
- 10bbl brewing system on site, managed by head brewer Steve Gonzalez. Featuring beers inspired by the region and collaborations with local breweries.
- On-site smoker producing incredible BBQ daily, run by Pitmaster Damian Brugger (first person to hold such a position at Stone).
- Incredible views of Downtown Napa, with one of the only west-facing patios in the area, allowing us to enjoy gorgeous sunsets nightly.
- Direct access to Napa river. Boaters/paddleboarders/kayakers have been known to walk up the bank for to-go beers.
Stone Brewing Tap Rooms and Stone Company Stores offer growler fills, pours, bottles, kegs, and a wide variety of merchandise to help our fans proudly display and communicate their preference for and right to fine craft beer. In many ways, it’s a scaled-down version of the Stone experience, and Stone’s year-round beers are always available along with a plethora of specialty and limited-release beers as well as a selection of rad Stone merchandise.
- Growler fill station and tastings offered
- Stone merchandise and gifts available for sale
- 7 year-round Stone beers available, plus rotating special releases
- Located in Southern California neighborhoods...and now Richmond, VA
- Stone Brewing Tap Room - Richmond opened for business on February 2015
- Our rooftop solar panels on the Escondido brewery produce about 20% of the power for the brewery and our restaurant, preventing approximately 1.5 million pounds of CO2 from entering the atmosphere annually.
- Stone Brewing –Richmond is Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver certified.
- Stone Brewing – Richmond is landscaped using RVA Goats, which uses local goats to maintain the land. Landscaping is low-maintenance, low-impact and designed to restore the native habitat. The facility is 98% landfill free.
- Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens is the largest restaurant purchaser of local small farm / organic produce in San Diego County.
- Used fryer oil at Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens – Escondido and Liberty Station is picked up by New Leaf Biofuel and converted into biofuel.
- We have two electric car charging stations in the parking lot of Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens - Escondido to accommodate eco-minded drivers.
- "Spent grain" that has been used in the brewing process is then repurposed as a mulching tool in our garden. The rest is used by local farmers as livestock feed, and as ingredients in locally made soaps and dog treats (creatively named Stone Bones). Stone is the first to repurpose hops and yeast for cattle, goat and chicken feed.
- In 2017 Stone had an astounding 357 days of ZERO wastewater discharge to the City of Escondido. A staggering 27 million gallons of brewing byproduct turned into 17.5 million gallons of reclaimed water that was reused for non-potable cleaning processes.
- In Richmond, wastewater discharged into the municipal treatment stream benefits the James River. The wastewater offsets high nitrogen levels, which the city previously counteracted with a chemical addition.
- More than $3.5 million donated to charity since day one, with the annual Stone Anniversary Celebration & Invitational Beer Festival responsible for raising more than $2 million of that total.