We at Stone are taking the latest social posts around harassment and discrimination as OUR CALL TO ACTION. Below is our latest internal communication and early action steps but know that this will be an ongoing and critically important effort. As you’ll see, we are focused now on time to listen, learn and support. Also, THANK YOU to everyone who had the bravery to share their stories.
A Message From the CEO Re: Harassment & Discrimination in the Workplace:
May 19, 2021
This past weekend, an unsettling number of women in the brewing community shared personal stories of sexual harassment and discrimination on social media. As evidenced by the gravity and volume of the upsetting stories shared, it is clear that there is still much work to be done in our industry. This moment in time serves as an important opportunity for us all to revisit the role that we can play in creating a safe and inclusive workplace for everyone.
Let’s be clear: Stone has been and continues to be committed to providing a work environment free of harassment and discrimination. We do not tolerate any form of harassment or discrimination related to someone’s gender, race, sexual identity, religion or any other individual characteristic. This policy also extends to any interactions with our fans, customers, vendors and business partners. There’s no place for that here at Stone.
If you experience any form of harassment or discrimination, please know that you have multiple channels available to you for reporting the situation:
- Share with your direct supervisor or other Stone leader if you’re comfortable
- Reach out to any member of the People / HR team
- Submit anonymous Comments or Feedback on the Stone Central portal, which will be received and reviewed directly by Co-Founder Steve Wagner, CEO Maria Stipp and VP of People Kristin Perales
All claims of harassment or discrimination will be immediately investigated and appropriate disciplinary action taken to follow. Retaliation against a team member for reporting harassment or discrimination is absolutely prohibited.
Policies on their own are not enough. We must continue to proactively work to create safe spaces for all. Here are some initial actions identified to keep this important conversation going:
- Supervisor Training – All people leaders at Stone are currently required to complete sexual harassment training every two years, starting within six months of their hire date.
- Hold space for Women at Stone – We will hold a special Women of Stone Network session to make space for women at Stone to come together and share ideas for how we can continue to improve our work experience.
- Diversity & Inclusion Training for All – We will roll out training for all Team Stone members to educate, build awareness and provide tools for how we can foster an inclusive environment at Stone.
- Learn how to Be Better Allies – We have a strong number of current male allies within our team and we’ll look to provide a platform for how we all can be better allies to women, people of color, and all marginalized groups.
If you would like to take an active part in our journey to foster a diverse and inclusive environment here at Stone, please reach out to Kristin to join our Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee.
Let’s take care of each other and collectively make the craft beer industry better than we found it.
Stone Brewing CEO