While pairing food with beer is becoming more and more popular, there is another way to enjoy beer while getting your daily nourishment. Cooking with beer is no longer just for dads who tip their beer bottle out into a chili pot. Different beers can be incorporated into your meals (and desserts!) and it should be no surprise that we at Stone Brewing are big fans of this culinary union. So, with a series of recipes using different Stone beers, we are going to be giving you glimpses into the Stone kitchen and spicing up your recipe repertoire.
While stouts and porters are commonly consumed when the days are shorter and the weather turns cold, we believe they can be enjoyed year-round (to be fair, the cold isn't quite that cold here in Southern California). This year is particularly robust with the release of 20th Anniversary Encore Series: Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, Stone Americano Stout, 2016 Stone Imperial Russian Stout and the upcoming release of 20th Anniversary Encore Series: Stone 6th Anniversary Porter.
Below is a recipe by our amazing Pastry Chef, Tonya Ziegler, which uses 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, but can be used with any of our #SpringtimeStouts (and porters).
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Stout Cookies
Yields: 25 cookies
- 22 oz bottle of 20th Anniversary Encore Series: Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate Oatmeal Stout reduced to 2/3 C (slowly reduce on a low flame)
- 1 cup room temp butter
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 ½ cups oats
- 1 ¾ cups chocolate chip
- Preheat oven to 350º Fahrenheit
- Cream butter with sugars until incorporated, scraping down bowl
- Add eggs and mix until completely incorporated into sugars, add reduced beer add vanilla, scrape bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine all drip ingredients and sift.
- Combine dry ingredients with wet ingredients, stirring by hand.
- Add chocolate chips and continue to stir by hand until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Scoop about 1" on lined sheet pans, bake for approx. 10 to 12 mins.
- Recipe courtesy of Tonya Ziegler, Stone Assistant Pastry Chef
Cheers and happy baking!