Ken Schmidt / Maui / Stone Kona Coffee, Macadamia, Coconut Porter
Ken Schmidt, Homebrewer
Garrett Marrero, Maui Brewing Co.
Mitch Steele, Brewmaster, Stone Brewing Co.
Truly a collaborative beer, I want to thank everyone who went above and beyond to help:
- Our Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens overnight team for toasting 1,000 lbs. of coconut to a perfect golden brown. You all rock!
- Our Stone Brew Crew, especially Tom, Kevin, Chris and Sean, for all the last minute ingredient preparation (grinding, bagging, and placement in whirlpool)—700 lbs. of coconut, macadamia nuts and coffee, wow!
- The Brew Crew team members that helped filter the beer and add the final ingredients. I’m not sure yet who they will be as I write this, but I know they’ll do an amazing job!
- Mark at MnM Nuthouse, Jim Wayman and his team at Hawaii Coffee Co., and Paradise Traders.
- Bill Benzel and Greg Lum for helping us on brew day.
- Garrett Marrero of Maui Brewing Co. for his help and advice regarding brewing with coconut.
- Ken Schmidt for his efforts in getting the macadamia nuts and Kona coffee, and for brewing such an awesome, award-winning homebrew that was the inspiration and basis for this beer.
- Ken and Garrett: Thank you both! It was a pleasure and an honor to brew this beer with both of you.
...on to the Pro-Am Competition at the 2009 GABF!
Mitch Steele, Head Brewer
Stone Brewing Co.
About This Beer
September 21, 2009
Deep brown, opaque with a creamy light brown head of foam.
Intense Kona coffee combined with chocolate malts. The toasted coconut is also prominent, and when combined with the coffee and roasted malts, helps make this beer’s aroma reminiscent of a chocolate macaroon.
Coconut is more intense in the flavor with the coffee notes fading a bit to the background. Roasted chocolate malt and fruity esters make more of an impact here also, and the finish is where the macadamia nuts come in. It’s amazing how the flavor changes as this beer travels across the palate, and how all three of the special ingredients make their presence known in different stages.
Full-bodied, rich and luscious. It is simply incredible how smooth and silky this beer is.
This is just an amazing beer to taste. The three special ingredients—Kona coffee, toasted coconut and macadamia nuts—combine wonderfully, and come across at three distinct stages of tasting this beer. Just a wonderful beer to relax with and drink slowly, especially while thinking about the islands!
BE THE FIRST TO KNOW ABOUT NEW BEER RELEASES AND ALL THINGS STONE.(PLUS SOMETHING SPECIAL FOR YOUR BIRTHDAY EVERY YEAR.)